Monday, February 7, 2011

Real Classes. Eek!

 Yes, I began actual classes today, last week was just orientation. I had three hours of Sociologie de la langue at frickin' EIGHT in the morning and then didn't have Expression orale until 3:30. They went better than expected. I especially like my oral expression teacher, as she is extroverted and is honest in admitting that she understands and speaks very little English or any other language other than French. She helped us along where we struggled in our introductions, but overall, seemed surprised at our speaking and comprehension level. (Then again she could have complemented us to instill some confidence, but I choose o assume the former.)


During my 5ish hour break, I wanted to go look around downtown and wander in and out of shops and boulangeries. Didn't happen. I forgot that nothing is open on Mondays, especially Monday mornings, in Europe. With the sunny sky, I decided to walk a bit anyway and then take the tram home. There is a grocery store close to my tram stop, so I popped in there to get a snack and a croissant. I picked up a box of crêpe dentelle, which are these really thin pastries that have been folded together and toasted further and then dipped in dark chocolate. MMM. I am a chocolate fiend, for those of you who don't know. It's also ridiculous that even French junk food tastes better than ours, but it could just be a psychological effect from my idealization of this place and culture.


Upon walking home, I went through my separate door for the first time and took one of the shutters off the window to let the sunlight stream into my room. Normand light is fabulous, now I understand why impressionism began here. I can't WAIT to go to Giverny, the home of Monet. Later in spring will be better though, when all of the flowers are in bloom.


After looking at an online map, I deciphered where my next class would be held, did some wedding research and headed back to centre-ville. Sitting in my room, I was tempted to take a nap, which meant it was imperative that I do something active. I am used to doing a decently significant amount of aerobic exercise and stretching everyday in Texas. Naturally, being in Europe, walking around sight-seeing seemed like the next best thing. There really aren't any "gyms" here. 

That seems to be a very American trend. While walking around, trying to produce some vitamin D and get my blood pressure up, I came across a beautiful leather jacket in Pimkie, so I bought it. The US size said 4 and I wear a US 0 or 2, so I assumed I'd be fine. Wrong. As usual. My shoulders are too broad, my back is too long, my boobs are too big. It just doesn't fit. I'll be taking it back tomorrow, and how fun will it be trying to do that in French? At least it will be practical practice :)


I began feeling a bit homesick looking through mine and my almost hubby's engagement photos, so I began working on our invitations. I think everything is set, but ordering them online is scary, because if I make a typo, they will all be ruined, and I'll have to order them again. It makes me feel better sitting on them for a few days and then reviewing them with fresh eyes. 

Another issue, is that we don't want to do RSVP cards, to save paper (I'm growing into a green naturalist, oops), but putting our website on the invitation looked horrendous, so I just said to consult the bride or groom with inquiries. That gets the message across, right?


The guest favors, programs, DJ, and flowers are the things we have left to do. (The boys' clothes too, but Shad is handling that and the DJ. So proud of him!) After browsing for the past several months and finding NOTHING that agrees with our theme or personalities, I've decided to make both our programs and guest favors. I think. God help me. 

I'm stubborn about design details, food, and money. Electing to do these things myself, makes me feel more at ease, considering I like to make gifts and receive handmade ones. They're made with love :) Ugh, being away from home is turning me into a romantic sap! This transformation needs to stop.


Anyway, my thoughts are to make candy for my guests, which will be a new challenge for me, because my specialties thus far have been baking and cake decorating. NEW CHALLENGE! I like driving myself crazy until I learn how to do something new, and do it well. I confess to being a bit of a masochist in that way. Seriously though, trying to find favors or programs that are not cookie-cutter or cheesy is a difficult task, especially with the French countryside meets old South theme I'm trying to emulate. 


Not sure what I'm going to do for the flowers, doing them myself would be fun too. I have like two weeks to do nothing when I get back to Texas before the wedding, if I just sit around waiting for the Big Day, I'll lose it. Still on the shoe hunt as well. 

Spring collections are barely out, winter clothes are still on sale and the obvious pastels are still being withheld from the masses until flowers of the same pallet begin to emit their dizzying aromas. I'm nervous that the right pair will never emerge from the racks. (Nina is my back-up plan if I can't find something here.) Indigo, hippie chic, and '70's vintage styles are the popular stuff off the runway this spring in France, so we shall see what the suppliers turn-out.


Tonight we had stuffed tomatoes, which were amazing as usual. My host dad said that he can scan some of the soup recipes for me! I told him that the roomies and the almost hubby would be eternally grateful (assuming I do the conversions correctly). We also played a few games of UNO, which was interesting because my host brother has apparently made a few of his own rules :) 

Regardless of the differences, he was rendered speechless at my ability to shuffle cards. I did a simple shuffle and bridge and he was mesmerized. It was adorable and very appreciated. We each won a round and then he was sent off to bed. AHH! My man just got on Skype!


A demain!

2 comments:

  1. My computer's dying. Just wanted to let you know, I loved the first half of the blog. It's all I can read for now. I'll give a more detailed comment tomorrow after I've had sleep and my computer's charged. Good night! I hope you enjoy classes tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read the second half. And, Bwahahahahaha! Are you referring to what happened to my invitations? Yes, yes, yes. Please sit on them, make sure there are no typos, and make sure to review before you click, "submit". I had to send mine back, as you remember.
    Two weeks? Two weeks a long time? Ashley, in wedding time that is not a long time at all. If you need help finishing candies and invitations, please feel free to use me for help. I am in your debt from your help with my wedding!
    Baptiste made up his own rules? In UNO? I'm interested in the changes he made. Stuffed tomatoes? I need to know what you stuffed them with. They sound amazing! I am so sorry for not being on Skype. I've been super busy. I'll try to find you on skype soon. I hope to talk to you by Thursday at the latest. I am sorry for being absent online. I love you, miss you, and I enjoy your blogs.

    ReplyDelete