Thursday, May 26, 2011

Rose Petal Macarons Equal Life

After attempting to wake up early on Sunday, we ended up finally leaving around 11am. Stopping in a boulangerie on our way to Notre Dame (to see the inside), we ordered baguette and munched on the way to the metro. We got to the cathedral and it was still packed, but the line was thinner than the day before, so we stood in line and entered slowly.

Shad was taken by the grandness, but I was underwhelmed. Of course it was magnificent and beautiful, but the hoards of people, many of whom were rather disrespectful, spoiled the experience a bit. Every church and cathedral I've entered, I've been practically one of like twelve people there,  and so they have been quiet and peaceful. It was not the case this time, and I intend on taking him to other cathedrals so that he can have the experience that I did.

Photobucket

After exiting, we went and got some ice cream, like we had intended to do the day before. OH WOW. Best. Ice cream. Ever. I got strawberry and dark chocolate, which was so rich and thick with cocoa that I felt like I was eating liquid Lindtt. Amazing. We then just decided to make an effort towards the Louvre, jardin de Tuilleries, Champs-Elysees, and l'Arc de Triomphe, since they are all in a line that runs next to the Seine.

Photobucket

We were, once again distracted, by the eye sore that is the Pompidou Centre, random street dancers and a caricature artist. While walking back, some random Italian guy grabs at Shad (seriously, SO many people grabbed at him the whole time we were in Paris. I don't understand this, out of self-preservation, there's no way in hell, if I were a guy,  I would grab at someone Shad's size, nor try to haggle him for things) and convinces him that we need to have our caricature drawn.

Photobucket

Me: "No, we're good. Come on honey."

Random Italian Guy: "Ah, but ma prima donna! Ma Mona Lisa! You are in Paris, you must have a picture of you!"

Shad: Longing "please" look at me.

Random Italian Guy: "Normally I do picture for 25 euro, but for you I do both you for 20? Come sit."

Me: "Ugh, fine."

Photobucket

He insisted on twenty-five anyways, whatever, Shad's fault ;)

We came upon some other random buildings and towers, and finally found the Louvre. It was beautiful from the outside! It was closed. Dammit. We sat by the pyramid amongst the fountains and ten thousand other people and rested. There was a little boy running through the fountain pools in his underwear.

Photobucket

Fiancé: "I thought that sign said to stay out of the fountains?"

Me: "They're French, there are some things that the French don't care about. Running through fountains seems to be one of those things."

Photobucket

 After a few minutes, we continued walking, but towards the end of the jardin de Tuilleries, we had to stop again, because my feet were screaming at me. Seriously, I felt like the Little Mermaid (if you don't understand this allusion, go read the original by Anderson, it's so much better than Disney's version). Pain was radiating up my legs and I could feel the screws in my feet pulling at my tendons, so we sat and being the good fiancé that fiancé is, he massaged my tortured feet, while we looked at all the pretty art around our bench.  

Photobucket

When I felt like I no longer needed amputations, we continued to Place de la Concorde (the middle of a really busy street/the place where several famous people, including Marie Antoinette, were beheaded during the French Revolution) and then on to Champs-Elysees.

Photobucket


Photobucket

We had to stop AGAIN to let me rest, but there was a pretty fountain to look at, and we people watched for a while. Later, we decided that caffeine was necessary, so we stumbled upon a Starbucks. Warning! Starbucks outside the US is disgusting!

Photobucket

Making our way to l'Arc de Triomphe, we saw more dancers and the rest was a blur of pain. We were going to climb it, but just decided to watch the flame be re-lit and walked back down Champs-Elysees on the other side of the street. The only thing I can really remember is passing by Ladurée with its gorgeous green and gold decor and outdoor chandeliers and thinking, "We're coming back tomorrow."

Photobucket

The next day, we woke up to grey skies threatening drizzle, but decided to go to Montmartre and see Sacré-Cœur. On our way to the metro station, Shad and I were waiting to cross the street, when we heard the screeching of tires. A guy, who was paying more attention to his phone than the fact that he was walking into traffic, ran into a car. It knocked him over a little and the driver was shaken. He jumped out of he car to make sure the idiot was okay, and Shad carried on for the rest of the day, "We saw a guy get run-over!"

After the metro ride to the other side of Paris, we emerged half-way up the hill and I was drawn into a little shop. Finally, I had found a change purse (you need one in Europe, considering they have 1 and 2 euro coins, 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 centime coins also). Coming out of the shop, rain began and so I wrapped my scarf around my head.

Fiancé: Giggles, "Baby, you're so cute."

Me: "What? Leave me alone, it's raining."

Fiancé: "I wasn't making fun of you, you can just rock anything, let me take a picture."

Photobucket

He's a mess. We caught a little car/train thing-y up the rest of the hill and went inside the basilique. It was beautiful and much less packed than Notre-Dame. They are also stricter about no talking and what not there. We then exited and, while descending the stairs, a group of guys ran up to us and were grabbing onto Shad (again, WTF were they thinking?) and tried to tie "bracelets" that were actually just pieces of thread onto our wrists. I'd already been warned that people do this and then hound you for payment when you try to walk away, so I was like, "Um, non!"

Photobucket

Shad yanked his arm away from the guy who had a hold of him and they left us alone after that :)
We then went and sat on a bench that overlooked the Montmartre and, since the bench was wet, I sat on his lap. A group of other tourists came up to us and asked if we were French. We said no, and they tried to switch to English and asked us if they could take our photo. "Um, sure." I went to remove my scarf/rain protector off of my head, and they said, "No! Leave it."

Photobucket

We smiled and they took one, and they were like, " you look at him," so I did. I don't know what that was about, but whatever, Fiancé's head was inflated for the rest of the day. Wandering down the hill in no particular direction, I knew that I wanted to see the Moulin Rouge, but other than that, I just wanted to see the neighborhood, so we continued. We came across a street with nothing but fabric stores on it, and just as I was going to suggest that we go into one, I was overcome with hunger. Shad also seemed to be experiencing severly low blood sugar, so we continued to wander, but we were then on a hunt for a restaurant, cafe, bistro, anything. Unfortunately, we found ourselves in the shopping-non food neighborhood.

Photobucket

FINALLY, we found a cute little place and split chicken, fries, and coffee. Afterward, the rain was getting heavier, so we made a heading for the Moulin Rouge. Shad didn't know anything about it, so when sex shops, strip clubs, and an erotic museum began to pass by us, he finally asked where we were going.

Me: "We're going to the red light district. The Moulin Rouge was practically the first dance-hall/strip-club thing, ever. The French can-can was invented there too. You'll have to see the movie about it eventually."

Photobucket

Walked a little more.

Fiancé: "There are toys and boobs everywhere!"

Me: "Red light district."

We finally found it, took some pictures and made our way back to the apartment.

Photobucket

Tuesday morning, we did go back to Ladurée, but after we climbed to the very top of Notre-Dame, as in tip-top, including going into the bell towers. Not going to lie, there were a few places that were difficult for Shad to squeeze through. There aren't any signs that say, "If you're 'this' big you can't walk up, because you won't fit." Being tiny, it was funny to watch Shad and the other larger tourists try to squeeze through the small spaces.

Photobucket

400ish steps later, the view was amazing! We waited in line for almost two hours to see it (sandwiched between some complaining Australians and some stylishly dressed German-speakers). During which, we almost froze, so I ran across the street and bought a Nutella crepe from an outdoor vendor. Walking back to my place in line, I saw a sign that said they only took people in groups of twenty, so I went back and reported to the Australians and Shad that that is why it was taking so long. It was only written in French, no wonder everyone was griping, no one understood what was happening. We were finally admitted to the gift shop/holding area and wandered while waiting for the official to come back and get us.

Photobucket

The first stop was in between the two tall bell towers. We got to go inside one of them and Shad posed like Monsieur Quasimodo.

Photobucket

We were then led up even more steeply inclining spiral staircases and emerged on top of the right tower (if looking at it from the front). The view was breathtaking, but obstructed by a giant metal cage. People and their stupidity.

Photobucket

After descending, we had planned to try the Louvre again, but the Australians told us that it was closed again, man! Oh well. We walked in that direction anyway, and I told Fiancé that I wanted to go back to the pretty restaurant on Champs-Elysees. He didn't remember, so I just led him to it.

Photobucket

We entered and it was Ashley-Heaven. The Versailles of restaurants and tea salons. To our left was a huge line of people, pressing against a counter filled with the most beautiful and delicious pastries I'd ever seen.

Photobucket

"Deux?" a hostess asked us. "Oui madame, merci," I quickly responded. She led us up a grand marble staircase with golden rails. Upon entering the second floor, we devoured the rich view of beautifully carved ceiling moldings, renaissance art, mint green walls accented with more gold touches and sugar pink curtains. I smiled and began feeling giddy. If I were a bit more impulsive, I might have jumped up and down and squealed a bit. It was adorably Victorian.

We were seated next to a window between a Russian-speaking couple and a German-speaking couple. A petite woman came by us and brought us a carafe of water and took our orders. As gorgeous as this place is, it's that much more expensive, and we'd already had a little lunch anyway, I mainly wanted tea and pastries but we ordered a plate of cheese anyway.

She brought a small round of golden goat cheese to us (which comes from one place in France and is considered by many a food critic to be the best goat's cheese on the planet. I'd heard about it from my host mom, but she said it can be hard to find at stores). There was a little salad on the side and a plate of bread, so we shared the snack and both ooed and ahhed the whole time at the moldy magnificence in our mouths, then sat back and decided which pastry we wanted to share.

Photobucket

We sat and people watched, as it seemed that every table had a different nationality of people. We more eavesdropped on the pretty languages, than anything else. When our waitress returned, we asked for a pastry that had strawberries, custard/whipped cream amazingness, and puffed pastry all rolled into a little hill of deliciousness. I ordered Marie Antoinette tea also, which was the best black tea I've ever tasted.

Photobucket

We shared the masterpieces, and as we left, we got some macarons. French macarons were invented by this place, so we couldn't leave Paris without trying them. We got chocolate, lemon, and rose petal. Oh wow. They were all delectable, but the rose petal ones were pure heaven for me. I haven't been able to find any at any other patisserie, so I am determined to make them when I get home so that friends can share in the bliss that is rose petal macarons.

Photobucket

After the lovely tea time, we vacated and walked the Champs-Elysees again, as it was sunny and we wanted to try to climb l'Arc de Triomphe. Th ticket office was closed, so I just took some sunny pics and we headed back to the apartment and made dinner.

Photobucket

On the metro ride home, I inhaled something vile. I don't know what it was, it didn't seem to affect anyone else, but I began coughing like someone who had just been pepper-sprayed. I actually have inhaled pepper spray, and watery eyes aside, that's exatly what this felt like. I drank water and kept coughing, Fiancé getting a little worried, couldn't do anything but watch and the other Parisian riders just looked at me in disgust. My throat felt like it was closing and my chest began to burn. It felt like an allergic reaction to something. During the rest of the trip, I had major sinus issues and drainage into my chest. It was really weird. I honestly feel like an alien sometimes.

The next day was strictly for Versailles.

No comments:

Post a Comment